Essential tremor (ET) is a neurological condition that mostly causes a rhythmic trembling of the hands while performing a task such as eating, writing, dressing, drinking or when holding a posture such as with the arms outstretched in front of the body. The tremor can also affect the head, voice, legs and trunk.
Join the International Essential Tremor Foundation (IETF) each March as we host a special campaign to raise awareness about essential tremor during National Essential Tremor Awareness Month (NETA). Our goal is to achieve a greater understanding and acceptance of essential tremor. Our 2021 theme is “Let’s Talk About ET.”
Ways to Raise Awareness
- Hold a fundraiser and designate the funds raised to go to IETF programs that help raise awareness. Be creative and have fun … all for a good cause.
- If you have essential tremor and someone asks you about your shaky hands or shaky head, try to be open and take a moment to tell them a little about essential tremor. You don’t have to give them a clinical definition or 30-minute lecture; simply say something like, “I have a neurological condition called essential tremor, and it causes my hands/head/voice/trunk/legs to shake when I use them.”
- Download our free Essential Tremor Facts sheet and share these facts with others to get conversations started about essential tremor.
- Order free awareness posters and hang them in areas that get a lot of foot traffic, such as grocery stores, pharmacies, your doctor’s office, community or senior centers, local libraries, etc. (Limit 5 maximum)
- You can make an awareness donation. We will send you a special “Let’s Talk About ET” flip straw water bottle with a $30 donation. For a $50 donation, you will receive a “Let’s Talk About ET” zip up tote bag, AND the flip straw water bottle (while supplies last).
- Share IETF social media posts and pages from the IETF website on your social media channels. Helping to educate your friends and family is as easy as clicking “share”.
- Use our digital downloads (above) to show your support for the IETF and ET awareness on your emails, Zoom calls, and social media posts.
The History of NETA
March is National Essential Tremor Awareness Month is a time to shine a light on essential tremor and the impact it has on millions of people throughout the world. Join the International Essential Tremor Foundation (IETF) each March, as we host a special campaign to raise awareness so there is a greater understanding and acceptance of essential tremor.